After trying various battery-operated / rechargeable vibrators I thought about experiencing electro-stimulation. As I’d never used any electro-play equipment before, I asked the blogging community for recommendations. Tweets from the lovely host at www.thebrunettereviews.com and Mick from E-Stim Systems lead to my deciding on approaching E-Stim.
Mick told me more about their power boxes and connectable electro-play devices. He kindly agreed to my testing the ElectroPebble® XPE pack, in exchange for my honest, unbiased review.
As this is an electrical device, it goes without saying there are some safety precautions to consider before buying and using the ElectroPebble® and its electrodes. Do not connect the E-Stim ElectroPebble® to any location above the waist. This includes connection across both arms; (these are above the waist). Never connect across the heart, chest, neck or head. Do not use the ElectroPebble® if you have a pacemaker or are pregnant.
Receipt of my new ElectroPebble® XPE pack
I received my ElectroPebble® XPE pack in a plain, discreetly labelled box. Delivery was tracked so I knew the day I could expect to receive my new pack. I also received a tube of the E-Stim Systems Electrogel, though this has not been tested in this review. The reason being, that it seemed to be similar in terms of its ingredients to a water-based lubricant I’m already using. I am not a fan of having too many products open at once; I would rather use one up before opening a new one. This means that I can test the Electrogel at a later date, and link to a review for it from here.
If in any doubt as to whether the lubricant you are using is compatible then refer to E-Stim Systems guidelines. Suffice to say, water-based lubricants should be OK as long as they don’t have too many extra additives. These could potentially damage the electrodes or interfere with the electrostimulation itself. Avoid silicone-based lubricants, as they contain too many chemicals and aren’t conducive.
The sturdy case is wrapped in plastic, and the contents inside are all sealed in plastic wrappers so you can be assured they are completely brand new.
What is included in the E-Stim Systems ElectroPebble® XPE Pack?
The contents of the hard case, lined with foam are as follows:
- The ElectroPebble® power box.
- Two connection cables (2mm/TENS).
- A set of electro pads (self-adhesive and reusable).
- 9V PP3 battery.
- Quick Start Guide and Guarantee Registration Card.
- Instruction Manual.
- A pair of 2mm Conductive Rubber Loops.
- One Medium Electro Egg.
The ElectroPebble® Power Box
This little ‘black box’ provides electrostimulation as an instrument for exploring the pleasurable sensations of electroplay. The different modes enable the user to find out what sensations thrill and excite them, whilst being interesting and safe. Electroplay can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their gender or technical ability.
The main features of the ElectroPebble® are:
- Dual output channels, with simple dial controls. Blue LED lights illuminate when there is an output.
- 9 built-in program modes. These are adjustable via the central dial.
- A LifeLine™ Display, that flashes blue LEDs according to the mode.
- Powered by a 9V battery, so no need to wait for recharging.
- Ergonomic case, created to enable comfort whilst being held.
- Current limited AC outputs.
- Lifetime Guarantee.
- Designed and made in the UK.
Powering up the ElectroPebble® Power Box
To remove the battery compartment, press firmly on the ridged area, whilst sliding the cover towards the bottom of the unit. Remove any old battery (if present), before inserting a new 9V PP3. Attach the polarized connector (this should only fit in the correct way), and place the battery in the compartment. Ensure the connector is on the left-hand side, and the cable runs along the bottom of the compartment. Otherwise it will be difficult to replace the battery cover! Slide the battery cover along its ‘rails’ until it clicks into place.
Using the ElectroPebble®
To use the ElectroPebble® simply switch on, using the sliding switch at the top of the box. Ensure the Level output dials are both rotated to ‘low.’ The LifeLine™ will flash its series of LED lights in a self-test feature, before showing the battery level (represented by the number of lights illuminated). During use, you can use the UP and DOWN arrow buttons to see what Mode you are currently using (press once). Repeated pressing of UP or DOWN will cycle through the modes. Whilst the power box is in one of the 9 modes, the LifeLine™ will flash in synchronisation with the electrostimulation pattern. So as well as feeling the buzz, you can visually see what effect the ElectroPebble® is having on the two outputs.
The ElectroPebble® Modes
There are nine modes of operation, and they all feel different. The sensations can range from fluttery tingles, through to more buzzy (think pins and needles). At the more extreme end of the spectrum, there are sharper ‘zapping’ sensations.
- Pulse – fairly self-explanatory; each output responds the same. Simply turn up the intensity of the pulses, using the ‘Level’ dials. The speed of the pulses increase as the ‘Adjust’ dial is turned clockwise. When I use the pads the sensations range from ‘tingly’ to ‘buzzy.’
- Flo – A continuous buzzing sensation, which is softer or harder depending on where the Adjust dial is set to. I don’t use this mode a lot.
- Split – Combines the Pulse and Flo modes. Output A is continuous so I tend to use the pads on my inner thighs. Output B pulses, so I like to use the insertable electro egg in this output. It kind of reminds me of the in-and-out sensation of fucking.
- Bounce – A bit like ‘ping-pong’ between the two circuits, so it’s fun to use when you have pads plugged in one output and the electro egg in the other.
- Audio – The inbuilt microphone synchronises the sounds of music to the output stimuli. Listen to different tracks and you actually feel the rhythm of the buzzes! I haven’t tested this mode as much as I’d have liked but it is one I would like to experiment with more!
- Milk – Both outputs pulse in an increasing wave motion. Then they slow down again. The cycle is continuous with no interruption. It’s pretty fun to use with both a set of the electropads and the electro egg.
- Squeeze -This mode is somewhat similar to the milk mode, but the slow pulses at the start of the sequence feel slightly more intense. Also, rather than decreasing the output ‘wave’, it completely stops at its ‘crescendo’, then restarts the sequence. It’s a fun mode to use if you are wanting a stronger stimulation.
- Tease – A continuous output is felt that ramps up in intensity before diminishing. I like to use this mode with the pads on my inner thighs during sex with Mr Bunny.
- Torment – Similar to the Tease mode I would say, but higher intensity tingles. The sensations feel more on the harder than softer side to me.
Self-Adhesive Electro Pads
Mr Bunny and I have tried the self-adhesive pads together during foreplay and during sex. They can be placed in pairs on the inner thighs, buttocks or rear of the thighs. To use, you simply peel them off their backing plastic and apply them to the skin, before connecting the red and black cables to the attached sockets on the pads. You can then plug in the jack to one of the outputs on the ElectroPebble® unit. The programs that we like to use mostly are the pulse, bounce, milk and tease modes. The ‘rate’ of the electrostimulation can be increased / decreased using the Adjust dial.
In terms of how it feels, it’s between a tingly buzz and a small army of ants nibbling you, depending on the intensity and where you have the pads placed. On the front of the thighs it can be tricky to get the placement of the pads just right, to avoid a tangle of cables and the sensation of over-stimulation. Placing the pads on the inner thighs, I find gives more pleasant sensations for me. Mr Bunny conversely enjoys them on the back of his thighs.
I’m not sure if the sensations that we enjoy are a result of muscle innervation (there is certainly a degree of twitching going on) or insulation from body fat!? I deem myself to have more body fat than Mr Bunny, and he will have more muscle. Moreover, we both have different thresholds to the stimulation; I seem to be more sensitive, and only turn the Level dial about half-way, whilst Mr Bunny can push it virtually all the way to maximum.
Whilst the pads are easy to place and remove, they cannot be cleaned. Eventually they will need replacing. Removal of the pads is painless and there is no sticky residue left on the skin.
Solo play using the electro pads
The electro pads can be used as two pairs together on one person, with one pair on one skin region and the other pair on a different area ( both below the waist). Alternatively, a pair of pads can be used with either the Medium Electro Egg or the set of Conductive Rubber Loops. I have tried using a set of pads on my inner thighs whilst using a vibrator externally over my vulva / clitoris. The combined sensations were pleasurable, and it gave an extra dimension to my solo play.
When I use a set of pads on my inner thighs, in conjunction with the Medium Electro Egg (vaginally), I find the ‘Milk’ mode to be highly stimulating. Especially when using a vibrator externally over my clitoris/ vulva, as I generally require this to orgasm.
Medium Electro Egg and Conductive Rubber Loops
The egg is easy to insert vaginally. I have not tested it anally. The main reason being, is I feel uncomfortable with inserting the same egg in both orifices. If I were to own a second egg then I would have one dedicated for each hole. Although the egg can be cleaned, it cannot be submerged and a condom cannot be used over it whilst it’s being used. Otherwise there would be no electrostimulation (durr).
When using the egg it is important to ensure the output is set to its lowest level before inserting the egg. Only plug the egg into the output once it has been inserted. Otherwise you will have that cartoon-like lightning bolt zapping you in the pussy or the butt, except it won’t be funny! The cable is reinforced at the end closest to the egg, to withstand the tension of pulling the egg out.
Sometimes I can find it tricky to differentiate the internal pulses when using the Electro Egg, if I am using the pads at the same time. I prefer to use the bounce mode or another pulsing mode so I can feel the sensations internally. Whilst I do not necessarily feel aroused by electrostimulation, it certainly adds an enjoyable element to play time, whether it be solo, or with Mr Bunny. Cleaning the Electro Egg is easy enough. Simply wipe it clean with a damp cloth and mild cleaner, or medical grade wipe.
At the time of writing, Mr Bunny has not had the opportunity to try the conductive rubber loops. We hope to use them in the future. When they’ve been tested, a review will be added and linked to this post.
The ElectroPebble® XPE pack has something for everyone, as you can use it for external electro-stimulation, internal stimulation or a combination of the two. Whether you’re male or female, you can enjoy the sensations at a level you are happy with, and feel in control over. The pack can be expanded upon, by the purchase of further electrodes.
It has lots of potential for Dominant / submissive role-play and sensation exploration. The cost is reasonably high (£149.00 for the power box alone, or £209 for a pack). If you only need the one output, the ElectroHelix™ is a less expensive option, at £109 for the power box on its own, or £119/£129 for one of the two pack combinations. Having said that, if two outputs is a key feature you require, it makes sense to go with the ElectroPebble®. Then weigh up whether you’d like to do more ‘surface play’ or use internal electrodes to build the pack you will love using time and again.
If you are looking to explore electrostimulation, E-Stim Systems are incredibly helpful, and they visit plenty of trade shows. Recently they attended EroFame in Germany. I’d rate the ElectroPebble® XPE pack 8/10 based on it’s ease of use, versatility and the enjoyability of the electrostimulation.
No affiliate links are used in this post. I’d like to thank E-Stim Systems for the opportunity to test one of their packs free of charge, in exchange for my review. The opinions written here are my own. They are honest and unbiased.